There is something about spring that just screams New Beginnings! It seems, as our beautiful planet wakes up, we do too! The flowers, warm temperatures, and especially after last year, the much welcomed rain seem to all work together to give me extra energy and a renewed sense of well being. I feel extra motivated to get things accomplished. I want to eat healthier, and do healthier activities. Every spring simply seems like a new start.
- Spend time daily in the Word. God’s Word has the power to change us. If we want change and renewal, we must spend time reading and meditating on it.
- Find 1 or 2 short scriptures (or more) that lift your spirits and put a smile on your face. Memorize them, and when you get frustrated, upset, or sad calm your mind and recite one. Hopefully this will help put your mind at ease and in a better place.
- Spend some quiet time with your BFF! 1 Thes. 5:17 “pray without ceasing…” Throughout the day, I try to find ways to talk to God like I would a friend. I like to think of this as my running conversation with God. I like to have little conversations and tell God about the funny thing that just happened. I imagine Him laughing and smiling about it too. I like to tell Him my innermost thoughts that I dare not share with anyone. I simply try to tell God everything through the day, just like I would if a close friend was with me. The more I do this, the easier it becomes and the more I catch myself in these little “conversations” without even thinking about it. For me, this is how I pray without ceasing.
- Give something up and replace it with something better. Recently, I decided to give up phone time in the evenings while Jackson is awake. Instead of being on my phone facebooking and tweeting, I save it until after he’s in bed. I realized I was wasting a bunch of time doing nothing. I could be doing something fun and productive with him. If I don’t want my son to be lazy and self absorbed, why would I model that behavior? We can do these types of things spiritually as well! Find something consuming your time and replace it with something that will help you grow closer to God.
- Pray, pray, and pray some more! Find a time to pray. Since I try to have a conversation with God throughout the day, I try to cap it all off in the evening before I sleep. Maybe praying in the morning is how you like to start your day. It doesn’t matter when, just do it! Find a group of friends and pray with them. Sometimes the best remedy for anxiety is to tell your friends and let them pray for and with you. It’s hard to put a value on how important prayer is in our lives. It puts our mind on God, gives us comfort and peace, lifts our spirits, and brings us closer together. Don’t neglect it!
- Meditate. Meditate on the Word, meditate on God, meditate on the beauty of His creation. It doesn’t have to be daily, but find some quiet time, however frequently you want, and meditate. One of my favorite relaxing things to do is to find a quiet place in nature, sit and empty my mind, and try to listen and see God.